Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Forum Feedback and Suggestion Box
 How did you find this forum?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Irish Red
Warming Up

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  09:53:17 AM  Show Profile Send Irish Red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Luann, I just noticed we joined the forum on the exact same date. What are the odds? Although I had the pleasure of meeting Clara at the Taos Wool Festival several years ago, I haven't met the rest of the family...bet they're great too.

The Industrious Bee
Go to Top of Page

technikat
Gabber Extraordinaire

596 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  09:59:40 AM  Show Profile Send technikat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An interesting thread!

I started knitting in earnest in 2003 making an afghan and some scarves. I'm totally self-taught. Then one day I was at Michaels looking at yarn and there was a "potato chip" scarf displayed. When the clerk told me she had made it I asked where I could get the pattern and she brought me a link to the pattern. This opened my eyes to all the info about knitting on the internet. As some of you others, I was reading in some discussion group when Knitter's Review was mentioned. I checked it out and joined immediately.
What a wealth of information and help I found here! I learned that there are more yarns available than what's stocked at Michaels. I found info about various techniques. This forum is such a helpful, friendly place. Without it I still might be knitting only afghans and scarves.

My FOs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/technikat/
Go to Top of Page

HRH the Knitting Queen
Chatty Knitter

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  10:20:15 AM  Show Profile Send HRH the Knitting Queen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I joined 2/24/2004...eight years ago! Wow!

I seriously do not remember how I found the place, but I'm glad I did. I do mostly lurk, but I really feel at home here.

www.merrykarma.blogspot.com -~- I'm MerryKarma on Ravelry.
Go to Top of Page

churchlady
Warming Up

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  10:58:17 AM  Show Profile Send churchlady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The date I joined is just more than 4 years ago, but I was reading all the forums as well as KR for maybe 3-4 years before that, but I didn't consider myself a real "knitter", so I just soaked up all the knowledge and the knitting speeded up and the crochet lagged behind. It's so long ago I don't remember, but I'm sure Knitty and Yahoo groups had something to do with me finding out about Clara in the first place.
Go to Top of Page

gerstperson
Warming Up

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  3:11:46 PM  Show Profile Send gerstperson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a relative newbie, having joined on discovering a link for the Retreat, that I was considering going to since it was so close to home. I loved, loved, loved the retreat, and can't wait to go again in 2012!

Sharon

Chinese Proverb: Man who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt woman who is doing it.
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  04:32:43 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been reading KR for a bit but didn't join the forums until after i attended the retreat this past November. The forum is like the retreat on line; a fabulous community of great knitters and really, really nice and generous people. I try to read everyday!

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1812 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  8:13:26 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I am close to being a 10 year old ....... but I didn't tell my profile when I joined!

And why did I join? Oh, I was so nervous when I did! I was fearful of websites and forums and thinking that tiny mice with knitting needles would leap from the screen or invade my email!

Anyway, I lurked for a little while, and found out how absolutely lovely everybody was, and started posting, and never looked back. I can't remember if I needed help at the time, or not, but I did need knitting friends, and wow, am I blessed!

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

sherrya
Warming Up

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  06:19:00 AM  Show Profile Send sherrya a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm fairly new too. I joined 2 years ago (Feb 2010) after a friend told me about it. It has been a wonderful experience!
Go to Top of Page

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
912 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2012 :  09:23:04 AM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Surfing the net for knitting websites & found this wonderful place about 10 yrs ago. My mother passed away shortly after that & the knitters here gave me so much love & support!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
A balanced diet is a peanut butter cookie in each hand!
Go to Top of Page

BlueStocking
Sustaining Member

USA
945 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2012 :  05:40:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit BlueStocking's Homepage Send BlueStocking a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I joined on March 15, 2001 (just had my 11 year anniversary yesterday! wow!). I had gotten back into knitting about 5-6 years before that after a hiatus during my "professional career" when I was too busy, and too tired in the evenings, to do much of anything. A friend of mine mentioned this online newsletter she had subscribed to written by this woman who had just moved to Maine and had a blog, too, and I subscribed as well.

I didn't make it into the forums much (and unfortunately I still don't make it here as often as I'd like). But, I did receive the newsletter announcement about the first KR Retreat and took the plunge to go even though I knew no one (which was really quite a plunge for me to take; I tend to be quite a chicken about things like that). And then started reading the forums after.

I've said it many times before, and will say it again: Thanks, Clara, for who you are and all you do!

Jennifer

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"

Yarns and Rare Spinning Fibers from Spirit Trail Fiberworks: http://www.spirit-trail.net
Blog: http://TheSpiritTrail.blogspot.com
"SpiritTrail" on Flickr and Ravelry

Go to Top of Page

Marlene
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2012 :  3:54:04 PM  Show Profile Send Marlene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no idea when I joined, but it was a long time ago. It is a great forum and I am so glad it is here. Usually I just read and absorb, I very seldom say something. It is not hard and I will try to do it more.
Go to Top of Page

mrssuem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
457 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2012 :  4:19:38 PM  Show Profile Send mrssuem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was looking for something new in a pattern for a Christmas stocking I had to make on year; did a search and came up with the KR site. That was back in November 2005. I have to add that I did receive another pattern I didn't have (an old one that was off copyright) and made a great cyber friend that I keep in touch with on a regular basis. The site is great as well as being so helpful.

Go to Top of Page

Marie E
Chatty Knitter

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2012 :  07:20:47 AM  Show Profile Send Marie E a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was browsing looking at Knit Sites. Read several months before joining. I joined 2003. As you see from my posted numbers, I read more than posting.

Marie E NC
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3469 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2012 :  6:00:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I joined the forums in the spring of 2005. I was knitting one of the patterns in "Weekend Knitting" by Melanie Falick, googled for errata, and found answers to my questions in the forums. Then I read the newsletters in reverse chronological order (not logical, I know!) and have been hooked ever since.

Let me tell you a secret: on Wednesday evenings, I use the link for the KR newsletter and change the date to see if Clara has already posted the new newsletter ;)

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2678 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2012 :  09:22:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, Minh, we are sisters from another mister, I do it too. Is there any thrill like that of being the first one to vote in the poll?

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1812 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2012 :  9:15:07 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh *that's* how you do it! I had heard strange rumors and whispered, wispy tales from the dark, but trust Mink and Luann to know the ropes!

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  12:52:24 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd pretty much stopped sewing, anything, and I sewed a LOT. So, one day while cleaning up the sewing room, I looked into the closet that was never opened and found all my yarn. I wanted to make a sweater, wanted to find a knitting group, and so I did a web search for knitting, and found the forums. It was literally love at first sight, though it took some time after that unmentionable year 1 *freaks out* to join. It was the socks got me. Yes, it was Socks, and a wonderful, helpful, kind and FUN, knitting community. Brilliant Fun!

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
Go to Top of Page

VickiKK
Seriously Hooked

935 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  7:50:07 PM  Show Profile Send VickiKK a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and I found this forum when I was looking for information on how to knit with beads in July of 2003. I still knit with one of the members I met here. We have been knitting most Sunday afternoons for all these years. People left and people came over the years - it's been a great group.

Vicki
Go to Top of Page

dothead
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
550 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  8:17:18 PM  Show Profile Send dothead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was surfing the net and I found a link to KR. I obsessively lurked for a few months. One day, I had a question, so I registered and within minutes, I had a lot of answers and a lot of valuable information.

That was in 2004. Since then, I have met so many wonderful people on line and at the retreat. I'm not a joiner but KR and the retreat are the places where I feel like I fit in.

Vicki, the Constant Lurker(who sometimes stops lurking and actually posts)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?