Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 Shall I even bother?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lynne604
Warming Up

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  5:36:26 PM  Show Profile Send Lynne604 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, never finish a project you dislike. I frogged a sweater after almost the entire back was completed because I didn't like the yarn. Someone at the yarn shop had made the same sweater with a different yarn -- which I loved, but it was discontinued. I let the owner talk me into a substitute, knowing in my heart I didn't really want it. Once that sweater was frogged and the yarn rewound, I felt so much better. It's still in my stash, waiting.....
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1267 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  10:41:42 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That whole "wool" versus "yarn" discrepancy just came in really handy for me. A friend of mine asked me if I would knit her a light scarf out of very light "wool". Something in the way she put it made me wonder, did she really mean wool or did she mean yarn? I queried her on it and turns out she's allergic to wool, and she was really thinking along the lines of cotton! I never would have thought about it without the discussion that came up on this thread, and I would have delivered to her a mighty fine scarf that she could never wear. So, thanks!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
554 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  08:12:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally frogged a half-finished sock and feel such a relief! It's from the LL Solemate (not cheap) about which I had read such great reviews, but I just hated knitting with it; I felt horribly guilty every time I saw that sock looking at me and knowing I should have finished the pair ages ago.

I think there IS something about reading lots of reviews from knitters who just rave about a yarn (or pattern) and then when I find I don't agree, I'm thinking there must be something wrong with ME ...

Now I'll need to find something else to make with this yarn, but in the meantime, I'm LOVING my knitting time again!

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

KnittingKittens
Chatty Knitter

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2012 :  1:25:50 PM  Show Profile Send KnittingKittens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Life is too short to knit something that is not "working" for you-at least it is IMHO. I once tossed an afghan I had been knitting for years. I started it when I was a new knitter so I could get better tension in my work.

Oh I was so good-I used to take it out and work more squares and then one day the unthinkable happened--I ran out of one of the yarn colors and naturally it was a discontinued yarn!

I put it away thinking I would do something with it. It sat and sat and sat--neglected and completely unloved. One day, I had had enough. I put it into the trash bag and out the door it went. We had had a long and complicated relationship that afghan and I but we both knew this was for the best.
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2012 :  4:48:05 PM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Robinsteph it is amazing how much we benefit from this forum. I bet there have been benefits we don't even know about. Thanks for telling us about this one.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1267 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  1:44:17 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grand-Moogi, you are right. The forum comes into my life, and probably all our lives, in so many subtle ways. It's even in the humor in our house now, and my boyfriend knows I'm really excited about something when I threaten to post about it.

KnittingKittens--congratulations on your afghan! Takes guts to walk away from that much of an investment, both time- and money-wise. I bet it felt good.

Ikkivan--I think I remember you posting about how much that sock was bugging you a while back. Congratulations to you too, and nice that you're loving your knitting again!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by