Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 What type of yarn to use??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bflexner
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  08:24:43 AM  Show Profile Send Bflexner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about Brown Sheep's cotton wool blend. It comes in wonderful colors. I live in Georgia and use it.
Go to Top of Page

churchlady
Warming Up

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  08:27:13 AM  Show Profile Send churchlady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to add my vote for Lion Brand Cotton-Ease. We have very few really hot days here in Vancouver, Canada, but in very high humidity, I'm afraid even superhigh-quality acrylic like Berroco Comfort might be icky without some plant fibre for breatheability/absorbency. Cotton-ease is very nice to use, stands up well, and comes in a tasteful colour scheme.

Live, Laugh, Love, Learn
Go to Top of Page

NashvilleKnippie
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  09:22:24 AM  Show Profile Send NashvilleKnippie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cascade Yarns' Ultra Pima is amazing, especially for a cotton. The colors are gorgeous and plentiful. Label shows it as "machine wash cool" and tumble dry "low." I've knit several things from it, and it's a great choice for Florida knits.
Go to Top of Page

LoplollyBlue
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  11:06:45 AM  Show Profile Send LoplollyBlue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To those who suggested Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece... I, too, have knit with it and liked it BUT the sweater I did was quite heavy thought also quite cuddly. I don't think this stuff would work well for an afghan. Knit Picks also has a 'comfy' cotton that's soft but a combo of bamboo and something or even alpaca and something would work best IMHO.
Go to Top of Page

sba13221
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  12:53:24 PM  Show Profile Send sba13221 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote is for Tahki Cotton Classics. It is not bad to knit with like a lot of cottons are but still produces a sturdy and beautiful blanket. PLUS it comes in about 100 colors. I've made two blankets with this for southern people and they love them!
Go to Top of Page

Daylily
New Pal

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  6:49:46 PM  Show Profile Send Daylily a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I live in Florida, in the middle of the state. If her house has a/c she might want one made with a wool blend. My house is air conditioned and have 2 fans running in the master bedroom for white noise. I have a plush blanket over the top sheet. When I can afford enough of Knit Picks Superwash Swish yarn, I am going to knit my self a blanket to go on the bed.

Daylily, another one tomorrow
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  5:18:22 PM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good grief! I am not in a position to make any suggestions as I do not understand the climate and I am only familiar with most of the yarns mentioned because I have read about them. HOWEVER Pleeeease tell us what you finally decide to use and how it goes. Having read all of these suggestions so far my brain is conbobulating.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

Josephclh37
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2012 :  08:35:28 AM  Show Profile Send Josephclh37 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Briar Rose Sea Pearl would be my choice. It is luxurious, light, has a beautiful subtle sheen, comes in a variety of color ways, and knits beautifully. An afghan in it would be the prefect compliment to any home, especially in warmer climates or seasons.
Go to Top of Page

AdkKate
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2012 :  2:02:17 PM  Show Profile Send AdkKate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to thank everyone for their helpful and thoughtful suggestions. I am going to take my friend yarn shopping using your recommendations as our guidelines and let her pick what she likes. I will post the "winner" and let all of you know. Thanks so much for your support!
Go to Top of Page

AdkKate
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2012 :  09:13:30 AM  Show Profile Send AdkKate a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I just wanted to thank everyone who took the time to respond to my question. Your recommendations and comments were most helpful. After much looking around my friend selected a bamboo and wool blend mainly because of the colors. She just emailed me that she is visiting her son and family in the NYC area and found a little yarn shop that had just the colors that she wanted.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?