Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Errata in Knitting Patterns
 errata posted for Sock Innovation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

doonya
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  12:52:04 PM  Show Profile Send doonya a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Not writing in books can be traced back to my childhood (I'm 51). Schoolbooks and library books were on loan only and not to be defaced. I was an obedient child. I also love reading and books and have always tried to keep them pristine, especially those I received for birthdays and Christmas. We had everything we needed as children but not a lot of extras. We tried to take care of everything we did have. It wasn't until later in life, in undergraduate and graduate school that I finally broke down and wrote in books as they were deemed outdated as soon as the semester was over. I've only started considering writing in the corrections for some of my knitting books. Others I will print out and keep in the book. I acknowledge this is a hangup of mine. It also makes me crazy when DH folds over the page to mark his place. I try to keep extra bookmarks handy."

Hi,
I was taught exactly the same thing. But now I look at things a little differently. If you make a knitted gift for someone and see it 5 years later .... which would you rather see: The item in pristine condition, wrapped in tissue paper and lovingly tucked into a drawer .... or ... the item all worn and perhaps patched, pilled and obviously very frequently used? I'll take the latter .... and I feel the same way about my knitting books. I take good care of them but I do write all over them and anyone can tell they are used and used and used. :) Proves their worth.
Obviously, I would never write in a book if it happened to be rare and or irreplaceable .... or if it belonged to someone else! :) But my knitting books, oh yes indeed.

doonya
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  5:34:49 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do I fix patterns?? Sometimes I print out the corrected version and once or twice I've written in the book when it was a small mistake.

That was hard for me to do -- write in a book -- as I was brought up with such respect for books. And I work at a library. Finally I convinced myself, "Hey, it's my own book. It's all right to write in it."

Margie and Mimi (my hearing dog who doesn't knit -- yet)

Go to Top of Page

Marie
Chatty Knitter

347 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  03:42:33 AM  Show Profile Send Marie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The way that works best for me is to go through errata on the computer with book in hand, and annotate each pattern with "see errata" next to its name. Otherwise, I found I was printing errata for patterns I would probably never make, wasting time and paper and ink.

By just marking them as flawed patterns, it provides the "red flag" I need to remember to check online--it slows me down if I am starting a spur-of-the-moment project and don't have a computer handy, but considering how many spur-of-the-moment projects I have a habit of starting, maybe that's a good thing.
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3935 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  04:53:51 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FYI There are 13 errata now.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  3:37:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought Cookie A's Sock Innovation at Interweave's latest hurt book sale. There is no mention in the book of it being a second printing but I have been through the errata list and my copy appears to have been printed correctly. Obviously, as the book is reprinted, errors are corrected. No excuse for having them in the first place, though, I agree.

KathyR

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
My Blog
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/ (Roselea Fibres)
Go to Top of Page

Woollymama
Gabber Extraordinaire

540 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  3:21:22 PM  Show Profile Send Woollymama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Kathy--that's what I wanted to hear. I just got the book from the library. It appears to be the fourth printing, but unfortunately still had many of the mistakes listed in the latest errata sheet.

I have no qualms about writing in a library book--I penciled in the corrections neatly in black pencil, thinking future borrowers would be grateful for the help. However, I couldn't easily indicate chart fixes.

Because I think the patterns are outstanding, and the techniques section really helpful too, I'm going to buy the book, praying that by now the publisher will have fixed the errors (I assume the library edition is a year or so older than the current edition/printing on sale). I wish Cookie A would sell her patterns individually on Ravelry --that way she can keep a closer eye on accuracy. I've worked in book publishing for 30 years, and know the many and varied ways errors can creep in. However, if the publisher wants to spend the time and money, he/she can ensure that errors are kept to a minimum or at least corrected ASAP in future printings.

I'm so fed up with the sloppiness of many knitting books that I usually get them from the library and copy patterns. Some people may object to this but I'm darned if I'm going to shell out good money for poor quality. [deep breath--calms down]

Okay--I'm really looking forward to trying some of these socks--there are so many great patterns I don't know which to do first!

woollymama
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2010 :  06:23:39 AM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I took out a knitting book from the library that had an envelope containing errata pages taped to the inside front cover. I'd guess that was done with permission from a librarian. Blessings on whoever did that.

My pictures
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.