Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting on the Web
 Online Shops - Questions and Favorites
 Best Online Yarn Shopping?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

192 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  05:23:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW! Time to add to this list! I just discovered a new place for discounted/discontinued yarns and ordered a bunch - like I need more stash! I've placed my first order, so I'll let you know when I receive it: http://designeryarnsale.com

Another place I've been ordering from very successfully (and I think not mentioned here): http://discontinuedbrandnameyarn.com

Happy knitting!
Louise

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://scarfitup.1000markets.com
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup

Go to Top of Page

sobahime
Warming Up

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  12:24:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit sobahime's Homepage Send sobahime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have ordered from Elann.com three times. I am always pleased with their customer service. They ship orders next day. So my orders usually arrive within a week. I use Best Rate for small package instead of Priority. Last time it only took four days.

I tried WEBS last week for the first time and I was disapointed. Their webpage showed they had 12 balls in stock, so I ordered 12. Six days later my order status was open. I contacted them and found that they had zero in stock at the time I placed my order. The item is now backordered. I was told that I should not rely on the number in stock on their page. I also ordered other items in stock, but they were not going to ship them until the backordered items arrive, that could be 2-3 weeks or longer. I could not wait that long so had to cancel the order. Their discount is great if they have what you want in stock.
Go to Top of Page

TricotAnne
New Pal

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  3:39:17 PM  Show Profile Send TricotAnne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just had the same experience with WEBs. I have ordered from them a few times in the past. Here I thought my order was whizzing through the airwaves to me, only to find out that they are 8 days behind in mailing out orders and to top it off, they are holding my order because they only have 6 balls of one of the yarns I ordered. I need 9 to make the sweater. They wanted to know if I wanted the 6? Of course not....and no more is coming in...so they were waiting to hear from me...and I did not check my emails for a whole day. Sigh. You cannot believe their website when they tell you how many balls they have of something in stock. This particular yarn, even this morning, still says "50." I don't know why they can't get this updated automatically. It can't possibly be so hard to do. They sell a product where available amounts really do count. 6 balls won't do when you need 9...hello folks...this is a useless site the way it operates now! Sorry, I am feeling grumpy about this.
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  5:02:24 PM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have known Webs since the early 80s when they would mail out samples every month. I was a weaver then and I looked forward to getting their mailing with great anticipation. When I started to knit again I remembered them fondly from my weaving days that I had to try them. I do like their discounts and have had several orders with no problems at all. A new generation of owners are now in charge.

Then I ordered a larger quantity for an afgan. The order came in as expected but for some reason, I compared the invoice amount to the website price and I had been charged 50 cents a skein more than what was on the web. I called one evening and left a message. 24 hours later they had not returned my call so I called again. It is hard to describe how frustating this phone call was: they kept referring to information unrelated to my concern, there was slight huffyness in their tone of voice and I never felt like they undertood why I was calling.

I asked to speak to a supervisor. She was no better! The conversation finally ended with a "Fine, lady, we'll give you a refund". I was speechless (I know, it's hard to believe) that she had called me "lady" with a tone of disdain. Was this a playground rumble or a business transaction?

I know everyone has situations that go astray, misunderstandings that just happen. I'm even willing to grant that I may not have explained myself clearly... regarless, it left a very bad taste in my mouth.

In thinking about it I'm convinced what happened is that their computer was not updated as they thought it had been. Same problems as others have reported on this thread. If they can't get their computer to be acurate, they will go out of business. It's that simple.

I'm not ready to stop buying from them but my antenna is up about how they treat their customers. One more incident and I'm gone.

Consuelo
"Perfect is the enemy of good"
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4166 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  10:18:26 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite Canadian ones are Red Bird Knits (www.redbirdknits.com) and Ram Wools (www.ramwools.com).
In the US, I love Woolgirl (www.woolgirl.com) and The Loopy Ewe (www.theloopyewe.com) in addition to the great stores mentioned here.
In the UK, Jeanette's Rare yarns (www.jannettesrareyarns.co.uk/ ) has great deals and fast, reasonable shipping to the US on most items (but not books so much).

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  4:13:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My head is boggled by all of these places!

Hey, Clara: Would you simply put up a list of all of these on the KR site? We can always add more.

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

TricotAnne
New Pal

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  11:38:37 AM  Show Profile Send TricotAnne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, Consuelo, I was really interested in your post above. I, too, have known WEBs for many many years as a weaver. I used to get their mailings and I, too, have ordered a lot of yarn from them over the years. Coming back to them now as a reinvigorated knitter (I have a ton of weaving yarn to be used up), I have been seduced by their nice selection and their good prices but this is the second time I have had their web site tell me that there was plenty of yarn available and then, come to find out, not so much after all. Other sites seem to get their updates done almost immediately. I agree, they need to fix this problem. I will be very hesitant to order from them again because of this glitz. My frustration is double because now it looks like my order will arrive at my house after I have left on a trip to visit my daughter and I have to arrange for someone to keep checking for it so it does not get ruined by snow or rain. I placed my order 10 days ago and it looks like it has not even shipped out yet. Might be short more balls before this order ever gets put together! Meanwhile I got two perfect packages from Elann and from GotYarn. Ordered the same day (Jan 1) as WEBs and I am knitting on two projects from those orders already!!
Go to Top of Page

cpknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  09:29:51 AM  Show Profile Send cpknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of this great feedback may get me in trouble with the yarn budget. As an accountant, I just have to say, "free" is never really truly totally free. This is one of my pet peeves. The business owner just spreads the cost over all they sell to all the customers.

Carol, Wisconsin
Go to Top of Page

midnightskyfibers
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  3:54:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit midnightskyfibers's Homepage Send midnightskyfibers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
cp- I agree. Though I like free shipping :) but realize I am probably paying more/ball for yarn that way.

If I need more than a couple skeins from somewhere I call/email and ask if they have them in stock (in the same dyelot!). I usually want the yarn for something super specific, so unless I need 30 skeins and it is a great price and not urgent, I don't want to wait around for a backorder.

---
Midnightsky Fibers Naturally Dyed Handspun Yarn & Fiber Dyed using only natural dyes and non toxic mordants on luxurious and unique fibers.
Go to Top of Page

cpknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  5:54:36 PM  Show Profile Send cpknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Midnightskyfibers, I also call most of the time. I really like speaking with a real person. Also, some websites have timed me out as I browse even though I've had items in a cart. IMHO a business that also provides their phone # is truly customer friendly (unless they prove otherwise and that has not happened to me (knock on wood).

Carol, Wisconsin
Go to Top of Page

knits_for_preemies
Permanent Resident

USA
1957 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2010 :  05:29:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit knits_for_preemies's Homepage Send knits_for_preemies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Yarn and Fiber Company (Link here) is my "go to" online shop. They are super nice to deal with, shipping is fast and free on any size order. They have a wonderful selection of yarn, needles, and lots more, including the very cute Ivy Brambles T-shirts, totes, notecards, etc.

I always try to buy from my LYS whenever possible, but (sigh) my LYS is 50 miles away, so with WalMart as my only other truly local alternative, I'm thankful for good online shops, such as Yarn and Fiber Company.

Y & F Co. is located in Derry, New Hampshire (40 miles north of Boston). I'd love to visit the store when I make that trip I want to take from Boston to Nova Scotia...ahh, some day. That's a long way from here in the South.

Once I had a question about an order and called them--super nice and so helpful. I'll keep shopping there, and recommend them highly.

Barbara

Ravelry Name: KnitsForPreemies

www.southernfriedknittin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

zknit08
Chatty Knitter

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  06:55:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit zknit08's Homepage Send zknit08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone here shop at Smiley's Yarn? I've never ordered yarn online and would like to order yarns by the bag since I'm planning on making an afghan. It's too bad that most of the bargain yarn by the bag that I've seen does not come in mixed color per bag since I want to make a colorful afghan. I appreciate all inputs or comments. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  08:55:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could do "grab bags" at Patternworks or Webs to get a mix of colors at a good price.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

mathiemom
Chatty Knitter

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  12:20:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit mathiemom's Homepage Send mathiemom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used Web's a lot with good experiences, but I did recently have the same issue that was mentioned above (website said specific yarn was available when 1) it wasn't, and 2) no one notified me for over a week. I still order from them, but not if the yarn or timing are critical.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

mathiemom
Chatty Knitter

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  12:25:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit mathiemom's Homepage Send mathiemom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to put in a plug for my new BFF online store: colorsong yarn. The carry almost exclusively Fleece Artist and Handmaiden yarns, and have an amazing selection. The yarns I ordered from them - four different yarns on two different occasions - were accurately depicted in the on-line photos, which I've found to be an issue with FA yarns from other vendors (the colorways change somewhat from batch to batch). The service is wonderful and there is NO SHIPPING CHARGE! They also sell all kinds of Addi needles & crochet hooks. FA and Handmaiden aren't the world's least expensive yarns, but the prices here are fair and they do have sales on discontinued yarns. I love them!

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Nanaknit
Chatty Knitter

287 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2010 :  4:25:00 PM  Show Profile Send Nanaknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been ordering from Webs for years and have had no problems. Other favs are: Jimmy Beans Wool, Lisa Souza Knitwear & Dyeworks, Handpaintedyarns.com and Little Knits. Also a new favorite, Jeanettes Fine Yarns.

Linda

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't."
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

TricotAnne
New Pal

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  11:59:21 AM  Show Profile Send TricotAnne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I realize that this is an older topic, but I checked out the link to Knitting Warehouse. Found some things there I have been looking for but I wondered about their statements on the yarn pages that they do not guarantee dye lots! For those of you who have ordered yarn from them, is this really a problem? I would sure hate to get mismatched dyelots...that would not work out at all!
Go to Top of Page

Judy Schmitz
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  6:15:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Judy Schmitz's Homepage Send Judy Schmitz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys - I know this thread was mostly active awhile ago, but I wondered, since then, have any of you shopped with us at http://www.fabulousyarn.com, We mostly sell higher end luxury yarns, all handpainted, handspun, smaller non-mass produced yarns. Just wondered what your experience of fabyarns was. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Judy Schmitz
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2011 :  09:03:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Judy Schmitz's Homepage Send Judy Schmitz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HI Scarfitup - what are you looking at in terms of sales - we have great online discounts, and we usually don't do closeouts or sales because we are a fairly small company and our stock sells out so fast - but when you order slae yarns - are you mostly looking for large quantities? Or the single unique item?

Thanks
Judy
fabulousyarn.com
fibersforfanatics
http://www.fabulousyarn.com
Go to Top of Page

agnesgooch
Gabber Extraordinaire

573 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  11:09:19 AM  Show Profile Send agnesgooch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wanted to revive this topic because of the great service I received from Angelika's Yarn Store (www.yarn-store.com). I've ordered from here about 5 times in the last month and I'm just astounded by how fast I received my yarn. My last order was made between 7 and 8 p.m. on Friday. I received the shipping notification about 12:30 the next afternoon(Saturday). This morning (Monday) between 10:30 and 11:00 I checked my mailbox and there was the notice telling me my package was at the leasing office! And that is coming from Portland, Ore. to Houston, Tex!
Will someone please do me a favor and buy up the rest of the Lorna's Laces Shepherd's Bulky that is on sale?

Also, I want to thank whomever posted about knitting-warehouse.com. I love Paton's Classic Wool and I can find it reasonably priced at Michael's locally ($5.99), but they don't have all the colors. I went to Michael's this morning because their sales flyer in the paper had it on sale for $3.99. I was hoping they would have more colors this time, but alas, no. I'm going to have to order from Knitting Warehouse, not that I really need more yarn.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24181181@N07/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.